Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembrance for 9-11-01 and Thanks on 9-11-09

Along with millions of other Americans and people around the world, I am reflecting on the events that occurred 8 years ago.

I am remembering the attack, I am remembering the horrific events from that attack, the planes going into the towers, one going into the pentagon and the other that would be wrestled to the ground in the field in Pennsylvania.

As I reflect I think of all my connections to that event.

The first connection-

I had just come back the day before from a business trip in Manhattan and had been commuting back and forth for nearly a year to New York City and I could not believe the scenes unfolding on my TV screen.

The second connection-

My brother was a pilot at United Airlines and it was his co-workers that perished on the flight that went into the second tower. It was a flight he almost took.

The third connection-

I had a co-worker that was supposed to have been on the American Airlines flight from Boston that was hijacked and diverted into New York and slammed into the first tower, it took all day for us to verify he was alright. He would have been in First Class but had worked late into the night and was too tired to fly out early that morning and elected to catch a later flight. A decision that saved his life.

The fourth connection-

The company I was working with at that time was working on a public option with a company based in the tower in Manhattan. The executives in the group he was working with- all died that morning.

The fifth connection-

Over in the Pentagon a third plane struck killing and wounding hundreds in the early morning hours. A Chaplain was working in the Pentagon who was also a chaplain, he is Colonel David Park. He was quickly to the horrible scene trying to rescue and evacuate people. He then gave assistance at the triage/hospital area temporarily set up at the Pentagon. It is a day that he will never forget.

He would connect in my life in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina as the Incident Commander at the Family Assistance Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where Victim Relief Ministries (VRM) would serve for 6 months as the chaplains to assist the spiritual and emotional needs of families who lost loved ones from the Hurricane. I came to know him as a great friend and servant of the people. He would become a part of the Victim Relief Family (as are many people reading this blog or on my Facebook or Twitter network) as a chaplain and trainer for VRM. He will be a presenter at the 10th Anniversary Celebration and Conference November 6-7 in Dallas, Texas. (www.victimrelief.org and www.victimchaplain.org)

The Sixth Connection-

Though Victim Relief Ministries (VRM) was born in 1999 it really began its role in Disaster Relief in the Ground Zero of the Twin Towers under Gene Grounds. The events of 9-11 is how I connected to VRM as I desperately looked for ways to serve my nation and help others. God led me to VRM where I served in many roles as a Volunteer for the next 8 years and today I serve full time as VRM Deputy Executive Director under Gene Grounds and carry other titles and duties as Director of Disaster Response and Director of Training.

So, 9-11 really is cause of reflection and remembrance and it connected many dots that led me to volunteer and serve my nation through VRM in missions and operations that include Columbia Space Shuttle Disaster, Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Ike and many floods, fires and tornadoes.

Our nation is unique, powerful, vulnerable, open, nervous, proud, creative and industrious. It is fraught with dangers, pitfalls and problems it has also proved to be a beacon of real hope to the world and I am proud that in over 200 years it has continued to overcome all obstacles and problems and challenges it has faced- and I give great thanks to God for this nation and for guiding us as one nation under God and respect those who don't see it that way, but I will stand up for God and my nation.

As I reflect, I want to end with this thought and this vision. Let us go back to the firefighters and law enforcement agencies who rushed TOWARD the burning twin towers and INTO the burning Pentagon to rescue people knowing full well the dangers confronting them. Let us go into the United Flight where the passengers stood up and FACED their hijackers. Who rushed FORWARD against the terrorist. Who FOUGHT against armed men and who nearly took full control of the cockpit- but in their struggle they prevented the hijackers from striking the White House, their battle took them down into the empty field now filled with their brave spirits.

They all fired the first shots back against our attackers.

That is the story of the birth of our country. I give thanks on 9-11-09 for the men and women who sacrificed their lives on 9-11-01. And I will give remembrance of nearly 3,000 Americans and citizens of 90 countries who were murdered that day.

I give thanks to all who serve in our military, national guards, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, emergency management people and all who work to secure our safety and look out for our way of life. I give thanks for freedom of worship, for a Republic that is free and people can speak out and vote for changes and defend the values dear to them.

I give thanks for organizations and ministries like VRM and Salvation Army that have armies of volunteers that serve others first.

We will win if we remember the victories that have come from our darkest defeats. I thank you God for this nation and pray for all those serving around the world!

9 comments:

  1. Edward,
    Thank you! Like many emergency responders, I remember watching the events unfold 8 years ago, and know exactly where I was and what I was doing. A part of me wished I was much closer to the east coast, because of the strong desire to help. While our "connection" doesn't come from that day, look at how it brought our friendship about, and what our common goals are! God bless you.

    Kris Long, NREMT-P
    West Flathead EMS
    Kalispell Montana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was living in CT when the towers fell and our country endured an enemy attack on our own shores. I remember the shock and the fear that more attacks would come. Living so close to NYC, I had many friends and my husband going to the city to help. Some were firemen, but, some like my husband were Victim Chaplains. They went to help meet the emotional and spiritual needs of those left behind. My husband went to many funerals of the firemen and policemen who lost their lives trying to save others. Their selflessness humbles me to this day. I remember going to a concert a few months later at Carnegie Hall. One quote that gripped my heart was, "We are all from NYC city now." Yes, indeed.

    Dawn Deaton, Kaufman, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for detailing the events of 9-11-01 as they have come to impact your life and ministry. I learned to appreciate VRM as a result of Gene Ground's work at ground zero and the pictures he brought back of the chaos and damage! Having served a number of years as a former VRM Director of Client Services and Certified Victim Chaplain myself, I share your prayer concerns and commit to lift you and the VRM ministry volunteers in prayer every day! Eileen Turner-CFO, Institute for Creation Research and former VRM staff member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your thoughts. I was in Tulsa taking a class at ORU and remember how hard it was to try and explain this event to my two young children over the phone. I just wanted to be home with my family and be a comfort to them.

    Chaplain Win Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward
    Got your email today and wanted to log on and say thanks to you and Gene and VRM for all you do in preparing us to be ready for whatever comes. It is good to pause and remember.

    God Bless You... Randy and Linda Moore (Spring,Tx)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't watched the news before I rushed out to take my younger daughter to school on that dreadful morning. I dropped her off, and drove with my older daughter to court for an 8:00 a.m. hearing. We cleared the checkpoint around 7:45 a.m. then sat patiently waiting outside the courtroom until 8:10 a.m. A security guard came and urgently announced, "We need everyone to evacuate the building!" I wondered why they'd let me pass through imspection just minutes before but concluded it was an unforeseen emergency.
    As I drove away, I listened to the news and heard about the disaster in New York. I noticed that there were no planes flying in the busy flight path around LAX. That was scary! My younger daughter called shortly after I realized the seriousness of the event, and asked me to come and pick her up from school. She cried, "They told us we could go to an emergency shelter or go home. I want to come home!" I picked her up from school and drove back home.
    I called my sister who lives in Brooklyn, N.Y. She had a great view of the World Trade Center. She tearfully cried, "I was out riding my bike. When I came home and put my bike away, I looked out the window and saw the World Trade Center implode right before my eyes!"
    I spent the remainder of the day praying and glued in front of the television set. My prayer then and now is that God will bless America to turn back to him and restore us to a respectable world power so our people will not live in fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like so many others remember right where I was and what I was doing. Also like so many I wanted so bad to help but had no connections to get me in there.
    That is one of the many, yet maybe one of the most important things that Victim Relief does for you and me. It allows us access to a place where God can use us to be His hands to hurting people.
    I am very proud to be apart of a ministry that is prepared and accepted by emergency management to be a support in any situation.
    I did not like that feeling of helplessness but I know now after 12 disaster deployments, many local events and service to victim's of crime that I am prepared to be a service in a Critical Incident.
    My prayer is for continued financial support for Victim Relief Ministries. For God lead leaders and managers. For divine appointments set up by the Master Himself. And most important is that people will know the Love of God through you and me.
    Amen!
    Love ya
    Chaplain Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we will all remember where we were and what we were doing when we first heard about the tragedies or received a call to "Turn on your TV!" I know that is etched in my memory forever. I am so thankful however, that out of that dark day has come a vision for VRM so that never again will there be a victim that will go uncared for or a responder to not be heard. Thank you Gene & VRM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a sad day then! and deep sadness still haunts America and the many men and women that perished. David Patterson

    ReplyDelete